Swordsearcher

Thursday, November 4, 2010

3rd Deployment Journal - April 19, 2007

4/19/2007

Camp Victory (which is also connected to Slayer and Liberty) is a joke. People talk about this road called "Sniper Alley" because it is overlooked by the Baghdad slums. The houses that overlook it are probably a 1/2 mile away. Some guy wanted to drive us down the road because it was an "intense" experience (he was Air Force if I remember correctly). I've had more intense experiences sitting on the toilet. But, we did see some cool sites in Saddam's majestic city. I could really tell Baghdad used to be gorgeous. It is now falling apart, all plant life is pretty much gone and there is a ton of graffiti. I really hope they can one day rebuild the area and landscape it the way it used to look.

This is where we stayed at Camp Victory:





Here are some pictures of the base and buildings of the old Saddam regime:















Marines really are perverted (we had time to joke around amongst the rubble):



Camp Liberty probably has the most useless array of items (and the best stuff) in its PX. yeah, they have a lot of stuff that could be useful to you but they also have dumb stuff like 47" Plasma TV's. I mean, honestly, can't you spend the money it takes to have those things shipped and use it on getting items we actually need.

Anyway, after a very uneventful stay at Victory for a few days, we headed down to FOB Kalsu. I had been here before but I didn't recognize the base. We flew a CH-47 and it was loud as hell, I didn't have earplugs either.

After taking a few days to walk around, I did start to recognize some things but most everything had a new area. The medical area was the only thing I could recall being in the same spot.

No comments: