Swordsearcher

Friday, November 5, 2010

3rd Deployment Journal - April 22, 2007

4/22/2007

We've been hit with rockets/mortars quite a few times since getting here on the 23rd of March (I believe). Just a few days ago a barrage of probably 15-20 rockets screamed in, killing a DoD civilian that was in a bunker. There are slots (like windows) in all the bunkers which are filled with sandbags. There was one slot on this bunker that was empty...the shrapnel went through it and caught him in at least the chest. The day after we saw the bloody handprint where he probably spent his last moments on Earth, God Bless him and his family. Just this morning Sims and I were watching Family Guy in the SCIF when a blast shook the whole trailer. Was only one round, but damn, it was loud.

I've been thinking a lot on setting up a nice vacation for Amy and I. Maybe drop the kids off at Oma and Opa's house and get Copper in a kennel, then hit the road. I don't want to give too much away just in case Amy reads this before we go. I am really looking at taking a full month off when I get back.

So, I have been working out with Sims to the tune of 5 times a week or so. My lifting weight has improved I still hate going to the gym. It's just not me, and I don't like lifting. At some point, I'm gonna have to incorporate some sort of cardio into my workout so I don't get any slower. I can feel my pullups getting stronger but I need to work on the running at the very least a month before I leave.

Being on the night shift now, I have been able to talk to Amy quite a bit more than previously. To tell you the truth, I miss my family much more this time. I can't really explain it but I am guessing it's because Sean and Ryan are getting older and more aware of what is going on. It hurts that I have to miss the entire Summer, I hope I can some time where school is out and take previously mentioned vacation.

No comments: